Sunday, July 17, 2016

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #81

Set: 2009 Allen & Ginter Baseball Highlights
            Total Cards: 25
            Stated Odds: 1:6

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:6
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 6.25

It's been some time since I last wrote one of these up.  We're currently on post #81 and we're going backwards so I'm really on post number 20... out of 100.  I went back in time recently to accommodate the newer 2015 sets and we're just now back to where we should be in the countdown.  Here's the link to #82 which was the 2010 version of this same set.

Both sets require the same 6.25 hobby boxes to complete but this set gets the nod as slightly more difficult to complete due to its size of 25 cards compared to 15.

Favorite (Owned) Card:


I don't really like the Yankees, and Jeter isn't exactly my favorite player in the world, but this card, and this play will always live in my memories.  I have always enjoyed when players go all out for fly-balls, especially when they end up crashing into the stands or a dugout.  Perhaps the only defensive plays I enjoy more are insane throws from deep in the hole or from way out in the outfield.  It just so happens to be quite difficult to capture that type of play on cardboard, so this becomes my de-facto choice for defensive themed cards.

Notes and Comments:
The set design itself: Topps made similar insert sets to this one from 2009-2012.  They were occasionally given different titles, but the general concept was the same.  Find some baseball highlights either from the past year or from recent baseball history and make cards about them.  At its heart, I think this is a fine idea.  This 2009 version of the set just so happened to pick highlights from the past decade.  It features multiple cards of superstars from the day (Griffey Jr., Jeter, Chipper, and a bunch of other Yankees) achieving a milestone of some sort or having some highlight play.  This works for me.

The 2010 set does something very similar, but only focused on highlights and milestones from the previous season.  This also worked for me.  It invoked some fond memories of that 2009 season and featured players that weren't necessarily superstars.

As you'll see in future posts, I didn't like the 2011 or 2012 versions of these sets (even though they're quite similar to these two sets that I do enjoy).  I think the problem is two-fold: design and repetition.  I'll go deeper when I review those sets individually.

As for this set, I truly love it.  I think the watercolor feel to the pictures are phenomenal (not to mention that the cards mesh so nicely with the '09 base set).  I also am a big fan of these particular card borders and titling.  They almost remind me of those old barber-shop polls, just in a different color.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 81
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 80%

Missing Cards: AGHS2, AGHS3, AGHS4, AGHS7, AGHS22

Extra Cards: AGHS9, AGHS10, AGHS11, AGHS14, AGHS15, AGHS18, AGHS23, AGHS24

1 comment: