Saturday, October 3, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #87

I opened up two blasters of 2015 Allen & Ginter almost two weeks ago.  I was mainly looking for the Keys to the City inserts and I successfully got two brand new ones!  Other than that, there wasn't much else scan-worthy, so I'm just going to post the video (1 of 2), call it a day, and write about something else.



Set: 2015 Allen & Ginter Great Scott!
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1:2 (along with other full-sized inserts)

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:14
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 5.83

Favorite (Owned) Card:

This is far and away my favorite card in the set.  No other card even comes close, mostly because they're all pretty terrible.  I went into college my freshman year looking to be an engineer.  The classes filled up so I ended up transferring into Applied Physics.  I liked physics then and I still do to this day.  I simply felt that there were no great jobs in my future as a physics major, so I ended up focusing on Actuarial Science and minored in physics.  Well... I ended up with a job that has very little to do with any of those three fields (ESPN), yet I still appreciate what I learned throughout college and have used it at some points.

This card reminds me of one of my favorite classes in college; Quantum Physics.  I essentially audited the course as I really didn't apply myself on homework and exams, but I still really appreciated the professor and the subject material.  Before diving into teaching, he spent 10 or so years at CERN working directly with this massive collider and had countless numbers of really, really cool stories about his previous job.

This whole subset reminded me of that professor, and perhaps it is partly why I'm so hard on it.

Notes and Comments:
First and foremost.  Get better pictures... I mean common Topps.  Examples...


In my opinion, these are complete crap.  I get that some of these things are hard to photograph/represent, but I'm sure that Topps could've done better than these images.  I absolutely ADORE the set theme idea as its completely new to Allen & Ginter and no other set before this is like it.  I just think the execution was terrible.  Perhaps it would've been better to dive at it from a more historical type perspective... maybe have old black & white type photos, or maybe do something with newspaper articles about these discoveries.  In any case, ANYTHING would've been better than a picture of a URL from an old version of Internet Explorer (WHICH ISN'T EVEN A SEARCH ENGINE).

Enough ranting I suppose.  

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 47 (In some ways I feel like I'm being generous, and yet I still feel the superb theme saves this set a tiny bit)
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 100%

Missing Cards: NONE!!!

Extra Cards: All but GS-5

No comments:

Post a Comment