Sunday, October 11, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #86

Here's the second of the two blasters I opened almost two weeks ago now.


Set: 2015 Allen & Ginter What Once Was Believed
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1:2 (along with other full-sized inserts)

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:14
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 5.83

Favorite (Owned) Card:

In the past I've tended to enjoy insert sets that either teach me something new or make me go and look something up on the all powerful interwebs.  This 10 card set taught me a little bit, but in all honesty, I knew most of what this set covered already before even looking at the cards.

I chose this card as my favorite simply because it DID teach me something.  I found this cartographic error to be fascinating.  How does something like this happen???  Aren't maps supposed to be detail oriented?  How does a random strait get inserted into America's west coast?  Explorers probably saw the Sierra Nevada and said... "I give up, I just went over the Rocky Mountains and now I have to deal with these???  I have an idea!  Let's make believe these mountains are actually water... that way no one can blame me for not going any further."

Notes and Comments:
If you follow these Insert Set Review posts at all you'll notice that I've gone backwards a bit.  I decided I finally have a decent enough impression of the 2015 inserts that I can start including them in this series.  This brings our total insert set count up to exactly 100!

I would note that I'm probably pretty biased to these full-sized insert sets right now (in the negative sense).  I've seen far too much of them recently, they're far too common in this year's product, and I simply have an overall bad taste in my mouth (no explaination... it tastes like peppers though.  You know, like when you eat a philly cheese steak and then 2 hours later you only taste peppers???).  I think that their arbitrary scores reflect that.  Perhaps one day in the future I'll go back and revisit these  sets and re-evaluate, but for now, they can keep their horrible scores.

Every one of this year's full-sized insert sets has something that really irks me about it.  This particular one is full of cards that are complete snoozers.  The set is incredibly boring at face value.  When you pull a card from this set out of a pack, there's no semblance of excitement or intrigue.  The reason for this is simple: just like it's Great Scott! counterpart, the cards fronts are completely droll.  Don't get me wrong, the subject matter is there... these kinds of things are right up my alley as far as subject matter that interests me.  Topps simply whiffed again on the pictures.



Yawn....

Oh, card backs?  They're fine I suppose.  I don't remember seeing a Ginter card back that I really hate.  A&G backed minis are the closest to that status.  These backs are pretty standard Ginter which makes them okay, but there really isn't anything overly spectacular about them either.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 48
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 100%

Missing Cards: NONE!!!

Extra Cards: All but WAS-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment