Thursday, September 22, 2016

What Drives you to Rip a Rip-Card?

Oh the joys of rip cards.  The cards that embody the spirit of Christmas... well, not the real spirit of Christmas, but they do remind me very much of what Christmas morning was like as a little kid growing up.


I GET TO OPEN STUFF!

Alas, Christmas presents never contained exactly what you wanted.

Image result for kid opening present gif

Rip cards do this to me.  When I pull a rip card, I'm obviously happy.  They're expensive little devils, are usually numbered fairly low, and have this hidden little present wrapped snugly inside of them.  My immediate reaction when I get one of these is to hoard it away for eternity... hide it somewhere I'll never find it so I can't ever extract the glorious goodness inside the card.  However, whenever I start embarking upon bigger trades, my rip-card collection sitting in never-never land will occasionally come up.

A year ago on this very day, I posted about a package I received from Jeroen.  My rip-card collection had to be accessed for that trade to go through (and for very good reason).

This year was quite a bit different.

Duane, of Democratic Roadkill and I have been talking about trading... for far too long.  Bottom line is that, for the most part, he has most of the same cards I do, but just more of them.  It sucks when that happens.  You have to start getting creative with outgoing trade packages.

I have a feeling Duane and I are going to be starting a revolving door of packages flowing back and forth.  This was just the primer.  What he sent me:


This was really the best I could do... I thought about scanning the cards, but instead I just took a crappy picture of the cards on top of my scanner.  Good enough, right?  In any case, Duane single-handed knocked my regular back mini want list down to single digits... for two separate years!!!  Not to mention, he did quite the job on a third year as well.

Here's what's left of my regular back mini want list for the past 3 years.

2013
42, 118, 258, 303

2014
30, 39, 79, 96, 102, 141, 157, 189, 197, 205, 211, 222, 224, 234, 240, 248, 253, 267, 288, 298, 323, 337

2015
51, 52, 54, 339, 342

Originally, Duane and I were going to exchange minis (and we did do some of that), but somehow we got to talking and rip-cards came up.  Yep, those rip-cards I keep stashed away in never-never land.

Here's what happened (volume is low for the first 5-10 seconds.  Don't kill your ears by turning it all the way up):





2 comments:

  1. Nice Trout in that rip card. I was hoping you would get a metal or auto, but you can't complain about a Trout SP! Encarnacion is a solid hit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Trout in that rip card. I was hoping you would get a metal or auto, but you can't complain about a Trout SP! Encarnacion is a solid hit as well.

    ReplyDelete