Friday, September 18, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #82

I haven't gotten to do one of these posts in a while, but I absolutely plan on continuing this series.  I'm not sure how I'm going to fit the brand new 2015 cards into the mix yet.  I haven't rated them or done the odds math/spreadsheet work for them yet (though it really isn't that hard).

In any case, I've had this particular post sitting in my drafts half complete for quite some time now mostly waiting and hoping that I could complete the set through one of my many recent Ginter trades.  That was not to be.  Instead I get to look foolish for not having one of the easier (and probably one of my preferred) insert sets finished.

...and I call myself a Ginter fan.


Set: 2010 Allen & Ginter Baseball Sketches
            Total Cards: 15
            Stated Odds: 1:10

Bubba’s Derived Odds: still 1:10
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 6.25

Favorite (Owned) Card:

This card wins this set on so many different levels.  Not only is it a great picture of a great catch, but it comes in probably one of the 2 memorable games (at least for me) in the 2009 season.

  1. Buerhle's perfecto
  2. The one game playoff between the Twins and Tigers.
The rest of the season was complete nonsense.  Colorado was the only halfway interesting team to make the postseason and the Phillies and Yankees reached the World Series... bleh.

Even with being off in college for some of the season with no TV (let alone cable), I still vividly remember this game.  I was at home for it (July 23rd) so I got to watch it happen.  DeWayne Wise will forever be remembered for this play, and this alone.  He was a career .228 hitter and played very sparingly, but my, what a catch.




Notes and Comments:
As far as the actual card set is concerned, this is the first of four of these similar type sets all labeled "Baseball Highlights".  They certainly were not all created equally.  Allen & Ginter had these sets between the years 2009 and 2012 and they all featured events of note from the past year in baseball.  Not very original, but probably forgivable if carried out properly.

In my opinion, the 2010 set was quite well done.  Even working with a sub-par data set (in a generally terrible baseball season), the cards look really good.  I'm not entirely sure if the cards are actual drawings or simply pictures that are rendered electronically to look like drawings.  Either way, they did a great job with these (and their 2009 counterparts).

Here's the other thing I really like about this set.  These nameplates.




A lot of the beauty of these comes from the 2010 standard Allen & Ginter color scheme which is (surprise!) blue.

The base cards admittedly go a bit overboard on the blue, but the slight blue touch throughout the border of this insert set really makes it for me.  It makes the pastel-type color theme work really well and the entire set ends up pleasing to look at as a whole.


Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 80
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 93%

Missing Cards: AGHS10 (So close!!!  Help a guy out???)

Extra Cards: AGHS2, AGHS12

No comments:

Post a Comment