Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #99

Set: 2006 Topps Allen & Ginter Dick Perez Sketches
            Total Cards: 30
            Stated Odds: 1 per pack

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 22/24 (Again, packs with a hit did not have this insert)
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 1.36


Favorite (Owned) Card:


I'm no huge fan of A-Rod, but I can respect the fact that he is a good ballplayer.  Look what he's doing this year!  ...also, this seemed to be the best picture Mr. Dick Perez could draw this year (this one I actually do like.  It looks realistic and very much like A-Rod himself).

Notes and Comments: 
I cheated with this set... with all of 2006 actually.  I can honestly say that I have never opened a single hobby or retail pack of 2006 Allen & Ginter.  Yet I still own all the cards.  EBay is wonderful.  I was able to purchase the base set, the regular back mini set, and this 30 card insert set all in one go!

I'll talk a little more about the design today as I barely mentioned it the other day with the 2007 set mostly because I was talking about math (and I had to leave something to talk about today!).  In any case, I give this insert set way more credit than the '07 version simply because it came first and thus wasn't copying anything.  The border on the front of this card is vastly superior to it's '07 counterpart, but still isn't anything to write home about.  As I said before, the backs of the cards are almost identical and feature a bold, large font title of "Dick Perez" (clearly the name of the card, right???).  The name of the featured player is hidden (why?) in small font right below the number of the card in the set (19 of 30 in this case).  This irks me to no end.  It'd be one thing if the front had a clear player title, but it doesn't.  "Alex Rodriguez" is hand written within the drawing by Perez himself in slightly faded pencil???  Sigh...

Again, the back features a blurb about Dick Perez that doesn't change from card to card (and isn't even that interesting).  All of these problems compounded together make for two extremely boring sets that aren't very fun to collect at all.  The player drawings on the card fronts are mildly interesting at best.  I'm glad Topps quickly saw the light and dispatched of these inserts after 2007.  Sketches can now only be found as 1-of-1 minis which I would probably sell if I ever got one as I still don't really appreciate Mr. Perez's work all that much.  Oh well.

I promise these sets will start getting better and more interesting soon enough!


% of Set Completed: 100%!!!

Missing Cards: None

Extra Cards: None

No comments:

Post a Comment