Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #98

Set: 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter United States of America (US State Cards)
            Total Cards: 50 (Surprise!)
            Stated Odds: 1 per pack

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 22/24 
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 2.27

Favorite (Owned) Card:


This is my favorite card from the set solely because I have no idea who this person is.  He obviously played for the Fish in '06, which wasn't a great year for them (what year really is???), and I suppose he is from Montana.  Nifty!  Anyways, I felt I should do a bit of research and wonderful Wikipedia had very little about this guy.  Even better!  Makes me love the card even more!  Anywho, Wikipedia also claims that this guy wasn't even born in Montana... huh?  Who should be trusted?!?!?

Notes and Comments:
Our third set in a row that features, what I would call, "filler inserts".  Just like the previous two sets, these inserts feature extremely thick card stock meant to dissuade pack-searchers from finding hits.  I have no idea if it worked or not, though I expect it didn't as we don't see these super thick inserts too often anymore.

Unlike our previous two inserts, this set comes off "passably" as an actual card that someone might collect.  For one thing, all the card backs are actually different!  What a novel idea!  We've got a title, a number, and a little blurb about the player in question and what state he grew up in (or went to school in).

The front of these cards are all roughly the same.  They all feature the same blueish background with a player picture in a ovular frame.  Also featured is the relevant state flag.  I think getting to see the various state flags is my favorite part of this set.  Some of the flags are really fun looking (like the Big Dipper for Alaska).  Going into this post, I don't know if I could tell you what any of the state flags were except for the flag of my home state, Connecticut.

Overall, I still think this set is exceedingly boring.  I'm not all that interested in which state players grew up in... not to mention that Topps definitely had to stretch for a couple states (see above...), so there is a definite lack of usual stardom in this insert set.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 32

% of Set Completed: 98%

Missing Cards: #25 Ryan Howard
Uh... *wince???  On one hand I'm very much ashamed that I haven't yet completed this set as its "so easy".  On the other hand, I obtained all the cards I do have just from opening boxes and packs (probably around 120 packs worth... some hobby, some retail).  I guess we can definitively say that my number up at the top is not what you should be expecting to complete a set.  In addition, the card I'm missing just happens to be on my least favorite team in baseball, the Philadelphia Phillies.  So I simply haven't actively pursued this card, nor am I willing to pay shipping for it... so the set sits incomplete for now.  

Extra Cards: Got doubles/triples of most (probably 40/50) of this set.

No comments:

Post a Comment