Sunday, June 28, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #89

Set: 2011 Topps Allen & Ginter Mini Uninvited Guests
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1/12

Bubba’s Derived Odds: samesies
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 5

Favorite (Owned) Card:



I've decided that I have to post my favorite card of every set.  This is the first set in which I'd simply rather not.  I don't really have a favorite as this set doesn't feature anything remotely interesting.  So I'm being patriotic today and we're going to show a crappy and grainy picture of Mr. Barack Obama's house... apparently a house in which they'd rather not live.

Notes and Comments:
I won't beat around the bush today.  This is flat out my least favorite mini insert that Allen & Ginter has created.  It's simply ugly.  In fact, most 2011 inserts were fairly ugly.  For some reason Topps decided to completely change up color schemes and started adding all kinds of clashing colors to their cards.

This set could have done without the blue on pastel grey title blocked onto the bottom of every card.  Not only does it look completely out of place, but it also simply isn't relevant and is FAR too big when we're already talking about a mini card.  The set title at the top of every card isn't exciting and it also isn't very thematic.  That title text doesn't really scream "spooky ghosts!!" to me.

What is actually thematic is the border around the front of the card.  Every card has the same shadowy tree type border and I actually think those are extremely creative and could've been an excellent touch.  However, the execution of it is pretty terrible.  With all that's going on with the front of the card I find that the very last thing I'm looking at is the picture... a picture that I seem to have to squint at to see.  Gross.

The backs of these minis are simple enough.  I would tend to prefer that Topps keep the card number at or very near the top of the card backs instead of at the bottom like this one, but I'm getting a bit picky at this point.

I will mention that I might be supremely biased about rating this set so poorly, but the subject matter here doesn't really entice me either.  I've never really been into or interested in any kind of paranormal subject matter and when it comes to picking between Braveheart, The Breakfast Club, and The Notebook the scary movie genre is all the way down at the bottom of the list.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 38
I've finally gotten around to "rating" all of the Ginter insert sets.  You can now see where each of the sets fall in relation to others in the link above.  I'll include this link on every rating going forward.

% of Set Completed: 90%

Missing Cards: UG4

Extra Cards: UG2, UG3, UG5, UG6, UG7, UG8, UG9, UG10

No comments:

Post a Comment