Friday, July 20, 2018

2018 Allen & Ginter Box 1-3 Recap

Here's a nice big long run down of what I found in my first three boxes of this year's Allen & Ginter.


This year's base cards. They're fine. I really like the border of this design. The nameplate, the background, the old style filter on the picture... all tried and true. The papery, scroll effect on the bottom is a little much though. I keep wanting to peel the card up and find out what's underneath.

One other thing to note is the three different colored borders here. They seem to be the only border colors throughout the entire set (grayish, brownish, and turquoisey). I would assume the border colors are consistent from card to card, but you never know with Ginter... I'll have to check my dupes once I start getting them.


Here was a little dilemma I came across yesterday. This was the only horizontal mini I pulled from the three boxes. Note how the image is entirely different from that of the base card. Very confused.






All of this year's full sized inserts. These last two are of the larger 50 card variety, thought the moons and baseball equipment easily win my votes for favorites. Note that I have absolutely zero clue who Tzu-Wei Lin is... my guess is that he was chosen for this set simply because he's from Taiwan. 







Here's the mini inserts in this year's Ginter. These also happen to be the first one's I pulled from each set. That means Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown wins Contest #4 for guessing 2 out of 6 correctly! Congrats buddy!

Side note: I announced the winner of Contest #3 earlier in the week on video. For those that didn't watch; congratulations to Greg of Night Owl Cards!

I actually really like all of these inserts. The first three for the subject matter. The postage required set is not really something that would typically interest me, but the execution from the few cards I pulled so far seems quite good. I didn't initially think I would like the hot peppers set, but it's so off the wall that it has since grown on me a bit. Finally, I adore the design of these flag cards. I loved the cards from the original 1880's, from 2009, and these are going to be no different. There's just something about flags that I really appreciate.



Some full sized relics. Meh.


Two Mets autos and a Mookie. The Strawberry is kinda cool. I can't remember the last time he's had a certified autograph.


A NNO mini parallel of The Rocket.


Some REALLY nice black minis.


Oh, whoops... I skipped the nicest black mini. Did I win the lottery?


Here's one of the three box toppers I pulled (the other two were baseball players). According to the checklist, these are limited to 500 copies. Even still... I'll be chasing this set. They're pretty.


And finally, the highlight of the first three boxes. These black framed autos are either numbered out of /25 or /10. I'll be redeeming it, just because I want to see it in hand. After that, I don't really know, though I'll probably hold onto it. Side note: Topps is telling us to get better at MATH.

Definitely a great start.

4 comments:

  1. Nice Tony hawk pull! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo! Very happy to win one of the contests!
    Nice bunch of cards! Particularly envious of the Votto and Strawberry hits. Fun inserts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Strawberry...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All around superb hits, especially like those Braves black bordered mini's, although Posey and Ohtani are just as sweet.

    ReplyDelete