Saturday, May 16, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #94

Set: 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter World's Tallest Buildings
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1:10

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:10 
There are some sources that say this (and all other 2012 full-sized insert sets) might fall 1:8, but I've found more that say 1:10.  I'll stick with that.
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 4.17

Favorite (Owned) Card:


These towers look really cool.  That's pretty much my only explaination to why I picked this card over the rest.

Notes and Comments:
I remember my first impression of this set being great.  I enjoy the unique and creative theme of the set and I genuinely think that tall buildings are awesome.  I happen to live fairly close to NYC so I have seen the vast majority of the buildings in this insert set.  I do tend to question the inclusion of some of the older (and smaller) New York based buildings like the MetLife building.  They included the then in progress 1 World Trade Center.  Why not include the in progress Shanghai Tower or one of the coolest buildings that was completed in the year this set came out, the Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower.

Yeah, these two awesome sights.


Oh well, US bias.  I don't mind.  Anyhow, card design.

Not bad as far as the front goes.  The images that Topps used tend to be very muted which detracts from most of the glory of these buildings which is unfortunate.  The title and name text does a great job of existing yet not majorly distracting you... but there's a border.  Meh.

The back is what has become standard awesomeness for Allen & Ginter in these recent years.  A nice simple border with great title text, a unique graphic that is consistent throughout the set, and then a random blurb about what is pictured on the front.  I love it.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 72
This was a toughy.  I like the set, but I think it could've been better content-wise and could've used much better pictures (or at least highlighted said pictures more effectively).

% of Set Completed: 100%

Missing Cards: NONE!!!

Extra Cards: 1, 3, 5, 8, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment