Thursday, April 13, 2017

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #79

"Step right up!  Get your tickets to hose-town!  2011 Allen & Ginter!  We've got it in cases, boxes, packs, blasters... all on clearance!  Step right up!"

Set: 2011 Allen & Ginter Step Right Up!
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1:15

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:15
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 6.25

Favorite (Owned) Card:



Heads and shoulders above every other card in this set, this fire breathing card stands out because you can see what is going on and the picture covers most of the ugly green background.  Also, fire breathing happens to be one of the few things that actually catches my attention and piques my interest at a circus.

Notes and Comments:
Upon writing up this post, I am actually somewhat regretting the rating I'm giving this set.  Looking at some of the scans really makes me appreciate the detailed work that was put into this set.  The card backs here are what really stand out to me with the blurb being framed by a curtain 'opening the show'.

I went back over to my binder and pulled out a couple more cards and instantly hated them again.  I think these cards are a rare breed that actually scan better than they appear in hand.  The cards are just so darn busy in hand that I can't even tell what's going on in half the pictures.


I don't know... I just don't like them.  The green background seems too much, and the card subjects floating in mid-air don't really work for me.  While the framing seems excellent in these scans (and it really is), it leaves little room for anything else on the card, so the whole thing feels cramped.  I think the set would've been quite successful on a standard sized card stock, but as a mini, I feel it fell flat.

If I had to rate it again, I'd probably bump it up a little bit, but I'm going to stick with my original guns, making it the second worst mini insert set that Ginter has ever given us.

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 39
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 100%

Missing Cards: NONE!!!

Extra Cards: SRU1, SRU3, SRU4, SRU6, SRU7, SRU9, SRU10

No comments:

Post a Comment