Monday, November 30, 2015

Allen & Ginter Insert Overview Series #85

It's been a while since I've done one of these posts, so I figured it's time again.  Apologies to My Cardboard Mistress who sent me an incredible trade package.  I WILL get to it eventually...

Set: 2015 Allen & Ginter What Once Would Be
            Total Cards: 10
            Stated Odds: 1:2 (along with other full-sized inserts)

Bubba’s Derived Odds: 1:14
           # of Hobby Boxes Needed to Obtain Set: 5.83

Favorite (Owned) Card:


This card is my favorite simply because the idea still has potential.  It's currently completely irrelevant simply because of cost, but there still could be possibilities for improvement on the idea.  Every time I see this card I think of the mailroom scene from Elf where Buddy is sorting mail via the vacuum tubes... don't ask me why... my mind is crazy.

In any case, I still think that there are still possibilities behind this idea.  Perhaps not in the realm of human transportation, but for transportation of goods or other things in which speed matters.

Notes and Comments:
I said in my previous insert set review that there was something that irked me in each of the 2015 full sized insert sets.  This set has the worst one... View the card above...

Now view the card below.
Ccc237db034f66bf385674d2df866f4fd1e6474f.display

I hate this.  In a binder it looks completely ridiculous.  Yes... the same thing happens with card fronts in many sets, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me at all.  I don't really mind horizontal backs overly much either.  The fact that this set contains both vertical and horizontal backs is completely ridiculous.  End rant.

Otherwise, this set is merely somewhat interesting.  The black and white pictures is a pretty neat twist and the theme is good, I do think the card subjects could have been better.  Here's the list of card subjects:

Flying Car
Jetpacks
Robot Housekeepers
Automated Kitchen
Food in Pill Form
Giant Airliners
Easy-Clean Furniture
Mail Via Parachute
Vacuum Tube Trains
Lunar Colonization
I suppose I just get a bit let down by most of these.  There are very few that I can point to and say, "Hey! That would be super neat to have in the future!"  Most of these have either been completely ruled out of the realm of possibility already, or are simply too silly to even consider anymore.  Maybe I'm fooling myself...

Arbitrary Rating (out of 100): 45
Click link above for complete up-to-date ratings

% of Set Completed: 100%

Missing Cards: NONE!!!

Extra Cards: All but WOULD-6.

3 comments:

  1. No sweat. It's not like I've been checking every single day...

    I got your package as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. Don't you worry. I need to cook up somethin good for that many excellent cards.

      Delete